It's been a long long time since I wrote here, which is partly to blame on the crappy weather and partly on my reluctance to get myself all made-up and take pictures. The weather has been mostly grey and cloudy, so it's incredibly rare to get a beautiful weekend to go out and take pictures. One such lucky weekend did happen earlier this winter though when I was able to go out with my friend to take some photos of this project of mine. It just took me this long to actually write about it.
I had been seeing pictures on Pinterest from magazines and books from the 40's encouraging women to re-purpose old men's suits to make suits for themselves. I was inspired by these pictures and when I saw a men's jacket made in a lovely fabric at a thrift shop, I decided to try what I could do with it.
|Picture found on What I Found|
Now, I'm really really forgetful when it comes to documenting my work. I get so absorbed in my work that I can completely forget to document it. So unfortunately I don't really have any pictures of the different phases that went in to this jacket.
What I can tell you though is that I completely had to take apart the original jacket, which was already a lot of work, to be able to cut the new pieces out of it. However I was able to get almost all of the materials from the old jacket including the lining. I just had to add some extra interfacing. I didn't like the original buttons so I used some other vintage buttons that were gifted to me. So I could proudly say this jacket was at least 90% re-purposed.
Here is the finished product!
The jacket is made out of medium-weight beige wool with small plaid pattern. The buttons are vintage and most likely pre-1960's